If there’s a pool or beach in your near future, it’s time to tone up pronto. To help you get started, we checked in with our fave health & fitness guru Ariane Hundt of NYC’s Brooklyn Bridge Bootcamp for her top 10 get-fit-quick tips.
1. Pump it up! To build muscle, add weight lifting to your workout routine. Tip: Fatigued by the 12th repetition? That’s the right resistance for you.
2. Cut carbs. If your diet is loaded with sugar and starch, you won’t be able to burn body fat. Try juicing fruits and vegetables at home to satisfy cravings.
3. Mix it up… To torch calories and get lean, interval training – alternating between high and low intensity work outs – is a must.
4. Skip the gym? Yep. Once in a while, it’s ok. To do push-ups, tricep dips and step-ups, all you need is a park bench!
5. 10/10/10 Follow the “Rule of Ten”: Do 10 minutes on the treadmill, elliptical and bike all in a row at maximum intensity. (A moisture wicking shirt will come in handy here, afterwards, you’ll be drenched!)
6. Heat things up! Stretching gently before any physical activity helps to prevent injury, as does wearing appropriate, supportive footwear.
7. Log in. Keep tabs on yourself: Record your workouts, what you eat and how much you weigh.
8. Go pro. Need help with a machine? Looking for a new move? Don’t take a chance. Consult with a trainer or scour the internet for advice from certified experts.
9. Push yourself. It’s true, muscles can get bored! Remember to keep your body challenged.
10. Try something new! Why not give pilates a shot? Or climb that rock wall that you always pass by on the way to work? You’ll work new muscles and keep your brain engaged, too!