Mark your calendars — Father’s Day is June 17th, and you don’t want to be caught unprepared. What better way to show dad you care than by treating him to a home-made Sunday brunch? It’s easy, thoughtful and – more importantly – won’t empty your pockets. (After all, he would want you to save your dough, wouldn’t he?)
The perfect menu item? Pancakes, of course! Just add in chocolate chips, maple bacon crisps – or, make our favorite – Red Velvet and you’re sure to knock his socks off. Here, a recipe that’s easy to master.
1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
2. In another large bowl, beat egg with buttermilk, sour cream, food coloring and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, adding melted butter in gradually until all lumps are out.
4. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat, then drop in batter 1/4 cup at a time to form pancakes.
5. Flip when bottoms are set and bubbles are forming on top. Cook until firm and fluffy.
6. Serve warm with cream cheese or syrup.
Want to really make his day? Shell out a few extra dollars for playful pancake molds!