As “man’s best friend” and the light of your life, of course you want nothing-but-the best for your dog. But shelling out a few extra dollars here & there for gourmet dog treats can really add up quick! Here, a recipe you can whip up at home that will make his tail wag and – who knows? – maybe even help you teach him a few new tricks:
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Stir together the flour and oats in a large bowl.
- Place the peanut butter, chicken broth, cinnamon and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 15 seconds, then remove and stir until smooth. Microwave for another 15 seconds if necessary to melt all the peanut butter and stir again until fully combined.
- Make large indent in the dry ingredients in the bowl, then pour in the peanut butter mixture and stir with a fork until a sticky dough forms.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Scoop out a tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball with your hands and flatten out slightly on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn off heat and allow to cool.
To ensure maximum freshness, store doggie treats in an airtight container. Want to serve them as part of a multi-course meal? Bring home a doggie bag from your next steakhouse visit, toss your leftovers in the microwave, or if you want to really treat your dog, break out the spacious tabletop grill and re-sear that meat. Then, for dessert, offer up one of these cookies. And don’t forget to pour some water in a drinking bowl fit for a king... of the dog world, that is.