Last evening, high above the hustle and bustle of Times Square, Rachel Roy hosted an intimate launch event to celebrate her first Rachel Roy Beauty Palette. In addition to hand-picking the shades and designing the water-colored evil eye that graces the packaging, last night she also took on the role of makeup artist.
As she sipped champagne and applied shadow, I realized that this breathtaking beauty not only has business savvy and serious design skills, she's that phenomenal woman and elusive role model that so many of us need right now. So, instead of telling you about her fabulous Day & Night Eye Shadow Palette, which I talked about in my post last week, I'm going to share the 10ish reasons I adore Rachel Roy.
1. She started playing with makeup at an early age, calling her brother her first victim. "I would style him, but to me it wasn't complete unless it was head-to-toe. That included a look. I would experiment on him to figure out how I wanted makeup to look on me."
2. She prefers smoky eye makeup to concealer. "I'm 37 and have some lines and dark circles. I think a smoky eye is the best way to cover all of that up." Kinda genius...
3. She likes beauty with a little edge. A woman after my own heart! Nestled amongst her gorgeous frocks and whimsical jewelry were beautifully edgy skull and evil eye bobby pins.
4. She appreciates imperfection. Roy said that it's our imperfections that make us beautiful, and she applies this same theory to makeup. When it comes to creating her ideal smoky eye, the messier the better. All she needs is a dark shadow, a Q-tip for blending, and mascara. "It instantly looks lived in and sexy!"
5. She has a great sense of humor, joking that to this day she's pretty sure her dad is still waiting for her "real" job to start as a doctor, dentist, or accountant.
6. She does her own makeup for big events. She knows exactly how she likes her eyes and doesn't want a makeup artist to feel bad if she keeps changing their work. "I just eliminate that stress. Plus, I enjoy it!" She clearly practices what her fashion preaches. P.S. I MUST have this handbag.
7. She knows her limits. Roy admitted that she loves makeup and appreciates skincare, but she's not good at the maintenance part of it. She doesn't even like to wash her face at night ... Pretty sure we were all nodding in agreement on that point! Still, she know it's important so she's found a work-around solution - anti-aging facials at The Plaza Spa.
8. She has an eye for detail. To complement her gorgeous makeup palette she served the most decadent macaroons and cake pops in shades that perfectly matched her eye shadows.
9. She loves her family. They were part of nearly every story she shared, but more than once she said that she was thankful for having a mom that, "just let me be me." I love that!
10. She shares her beauty secrets! Her perfect brows take shape from threading appointments every two weeks. That beautiful glow is thanks to Terry blush, which smells like roses. And her go-to, can't live without mascara - Estée Lauder TurboLash.
11. She's passionate about her work. She gets as excited to talk about her beauty palette as she does when speaking about her fashion designs.
12. She's humble, gracious, and beautiful inside and out.