As you'll see from this snapshot, New York Fashion Week offered up plenty of eye candy for the beauty-obsessed editors and bloggers that gathered backstage. Out of the thousands of lipsticks, shadows, blushes, and bronzers, five key makeup trends emerged for Fall 2012. And lucky you, they're all right here to enjoy!
Trend 1 - Bold Brows
Like it or not, the return of bold brows doesn't seem to be going anywhere! At the Tibi Show, structured, oversized coats and pencils skirts put a modern twist on Beatles-era style. To complement the collection, Kim Soane of Bobbi Brown created a look of understated confidence with an emphasis put squarely on a strong set of brows.
Please, please, please don't make this a runway-to-reality moment and draw in your own arches extra dark and full. Rather, consider letting your brows slowly take shape throughout the summer, perhaps opting for a slightly-fuller fall arch. Another way to achieve this look is to simply let your brows be the hero when you apply your makeup. Keep everything else subtle and add a little extra oomph when framing your beautiful eyes. As for the gorgeous flushed cheeks and Latte lips seem here, you'll have to wait a bit for the Bobbi Brown Fall 12 Collection to launch.
Trend 2 - Au Naturale
If you prefer an almost au naturale look, then you'll love the subtle cocoa-colored eyes and soft lips created by Lancôme’s National Makeup Artist Tarek Abbas for Monika Chiang. The entire collection (which BTW was one of my absolute faves!) was inspired by Elettra Wiedemann. The model, philanthropist, daughter of the breathtaking Isabella Rossellini, and face of Lancôme clearly offers plenty to be inspired by! As it turns out, this natural beauty look is also right on trend for spring, so use these products to get the look now:
- Teint Idole Ultra 24H Foundation
- Color Design Eyeshadow in Vintage and Chic
- Rouge in Love Lipcolor in Lasting Kiss
- Definicils Mascara in Brown
- Le Stylo Waterproof Eyeliner in Cafe
Trends 3 & 4 - Après Ski Chic
With sophisticated red lips and naturally flushed cheeks, Shiseido Artistic Director Dick Page covered two trends with one look at the Michael Kors Show. He described his "classic sportif" creation in this way, "The connotation of sportif in Europe is energetic and the look is all about the woman who's living the life, who's very chic and made of money." Fortunately in this case, you don't have to be made of money to look that way! Use these products to get the look:
- To create a full, flushed look on cheeks, Page applied a lip color, Lacquer Rouge in Drama using a damp foundation sponge. As an alternative, I'd recommend Makeup Accentuating Color Stick. Start applying the color to the apples of the cheeks and then work out and down. Think of how your cheeks look after you've been out in the wind and cold.
- For chic, shimmering eyes, Soft Beam Gold and High Beam White Luminizing Satin Face Colors were blended and applied as a wash over the entire lid. To keep the blend bright, use a bit more of the High Beam White. Finish with Perfect Mascara Full Definition in Black.
- And for that confident crimson pout, Lacquer Rouge in Drama was applied to the entire lip.
Trend 5 - Subtly Smoky
The fall runways were also filled with backstage stories telling the tale of strong, free-thinking women with edgy elegance and a certain je ne sais quoi. For makeup this translated to sultry, smoky eyes with just the right amount of attitude. At Derek Lam, Estée Lauder Creative Makeup Director Tom Pecheux explained, “The French have a saying for this look, ‘Un peu décalé,’ inspired by a woman who has a unique way about her. Unexpected. Intriguing. Different from all the rest. She is youthful and innocent, yet far from immature.”
While the limited edition eye palette won't be around until fall, you can get your hands on Crystal Pink Pure Color Lipstick now, and the rest of these beauties within the next few months. Watch for:
- Invisible Fluid Makeup, the anti-foundation, available later this month.
- Brazen Bronze and Alluring Rose Pure Color Blush also available in March.
- Sumptuous Two Tone Eye-Opening Mascara (you're going to LOVE this) in April.