Anyone can load on the black liner and call it a smoky eye, but the trick to getting a celeb-worthy smoky effect is all in how you layer on the color. Here are my tips to help you master this moody look in time for the holidays!
Start with a simple 3-step smoky eye
2. Apply a complimentary eye shadow over the liner and blend slightly above the crease with a shadow brush. Using the same brush, gently sweep color along the lower lash line. I love using the Dior Smoky Eye Palette for this because I can either add a little smoke or a lot of drama with the same compact.
3. Curl your lashes and apply 2-3 coats of black mascara.
Now layer on the glam with these expert techniques
- Add depth and another dimension of color with gel liner. Using an eyeliner brush, apply gel liner over your pencil liner along the upper and lower lashes and blend. Blending is critical, as you want these dark colors to appear soft and diffused.
- For a sultry effect, dab shimmering shadow on the center of each eye. Try using your ring finger for this versus a brush, so you can control exactly where the color is placed.
Now take a step back to admire your work. If you feel like your eyes are looking too dark, use a small shadow brush to blend a light shimmering color at the inside corner of the eyes.
- At this point I always pull out my fan brush too! It's a must-have tool for keeping your look polished. While you may not be familiar with this brush, it's perfect for whisking away any stray shadow that may fall under your eyes or drop on the top of your cheeks.
- Finally, polish off your look with a light lip color. I prefer a shimmering nude gloss like Stila Kitten Lip Glaze, but a creamy lip color can look fabulous too.